Thursday, February 9, 2012

Give Cheerfully!

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say, “They share freely and give generously to the poor. Their good deeds will be remembered forever.” -2 Corinthians 9:7-9

This is a subject that has been placed in front of me over and over again lately. Maybe it's because I am simply to blog about it, but more likely, it's because I could be giving more than I am giving.

I'm not talking about money here. I'm talking about time, effort, caring, helping. I don't really have any more money to give, but I do have the ability to give of all of those things I've just mentioned.

God calls us to "share freely and give generously." And if I'm honest, I haven't always done it cheerfully as he requires.

As an example, I can cheerfully give my time crocheting and/or knitting for others. In fact, after Gwen, I told the hospital where she was born that I would make them some hats. But have I done it? No. Part of the reason for that is that I can't bring myself to take out that yarn. My plan has been to use the rest of the skein from the one hat I made her to make others for stillborns that arrive at her hospital. It sounds like a great and noble thing when I read it back written like that. But I can hear God whispering to me. "You don't have to use only that particular yarn to give to the hospital. Other women could use a kind act like that too, regardless of the yarn choice."

It seems silly, I suppose, to imagine God caring enough about yarn and my feet-dragging about it; but I know he truly does. He's willing, able, and wanting to join me where I am. And this is where I am. Close to tears over yarn.

So instead of considering using that yarn for my first donation to the hospital, I need to stop with the excuses and use a different one. I have a ton of it. There is no reason I can't use something different. Maybe one of my hand-dyed yarns that I have been saving for a "special project." What could be more special than blessing another parent in the same way that someone else blessed Shaun and me?

Here's my challenge for you and me today: Let's stop making excuses and choose to give cheerfully today!

No comments:

Post a Comment