Monday, September 5, 2016

Pumpkin Pancakes and a Bible Verse- 1 Corinthians 10:31

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)


Happy Labor Day! Today is a day to celebrate, and how do we usually do that? With food, of course! In America, we like to celebrate all big occasions with food. It's our thing. And believe me, I enjoy it too. But I've been learning something over the last five or six years. I have, in the past, had an unhealthy attachment to food at times.

If you asked me six years ago what my favorite foods were, I would have told you pizza and m&m's. Today, I can eat neither. Over the years, I have discovered that I have a food dye allergy that causes severe migraines so I've cut that out. Then our family went low sodium because my husband needed to adjust his blood pressure through his diet. After that, I had to eliminate dairy from my diet because I am lactose intolerant.

It was the latest cut that was the real struggle though. Sure I have missed certain foods along the way but I have also developed a healthier view of food too. Jesus is working on that one with me. ;)

Anyway, recently, I made the decision to cut out refined sugar. That means that when I consume sweetened foods, they have to be sweetened with either honey or maple syrup. That has made coffee creamer interesting for sure. Once I perfect a recipe, I'll share for anyone curious about that.

Eliminating most sugar has also made many other things interesting as well- bread, spaghetti sauce, and chocolate among the top ones on my mind right now. But also pancakes. Pancakes are probably my favorite food right now. They are delicious and beautiful. I love them. Seriously.

And that's why I had to come up with a recipe for them that I could eat. God calls me to take care of this body as though it is a temple for him and that is what I am fully intent on doing right now. I am eating better than I ever have in the past and I have been learning to enjoy jogging by doing so with my middle son. It's been a great month so far! I know, I'm not very far along with this journey. That's okay.

Anyway, I want to add a picture of our lovely pumpkin pancakes here:



Don't they look yummy?! They are paleo friendly, dairy free, gluten free, low sodium, and refined sugar free. And seriously, they are still good. Trust me, I loved sugar and junky food in my day. I know good pancakes when I taste them. Haha.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

- 1C oats (you need to spin these up in either a food processor or a magic bullet to make a flour), gluten free if you need that option.
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 15oz can of pumpkin

- 1 egg
- 4tsp honey
- 1/2C unsweetened almond milk
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Break the egg into a bowl. Add all other wet ingredients followed by each of the dry ingredients. Stir just until fully combined. At this point, you can refrigerate your batter if you'd like to prep it ahead and use it later. Otherwise, keep going.



2. Pour about a quarter of a cup of batter onto a hot, greased griddle or skillet to create silver dollar sized pancakes.



3. Cook until you can see the edges firming up and bubbles forming in the batter. Flip and cook until browned on the other side.

- This recipe makes approximately 18 silver dollar sized pancakes. They are also kid approved by my picky kids!



I'd love to know if you end up making these! Leave me a comment below and let me know how they turn out!

Be blessed today and don't forget to be a blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment