Monday, March 5, 2012

Are you all in?

But the LORD said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” -1 Samuel 16:7 (NLT)

I got this verse at church yesterday when we were discussing the story of David being annointed as God's new king of Israel. At the time, David was a young sheep herder. He was the youngest of 8 boys. Insignificant in the world's eyes. So insignificant, in fact, that he wasn't even amongst the original sons lined up to be examined by Samuel. They had to call for him as an afterthought!

The part of this verse that really stood out to me is that last part: "The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them...the Lord looks at the heart."

I have felt what David must have felt that day so many times. Insignificant. Forgotten. Not worthy. Not good enough. To take it further: Too insignificant to be noticed by my husband when we met. Forgotten by my "friends" when I ended up pregnant in high school. Not worthy of a good life when I made mistake after mistake...not good enough when it comes to parenting my babies.

But God doesn't see it that way. What God sees is his beautiful daughter. And no matter what I've done or will do in the future, he will go on loving me. And that makes this heart happy. The same is true for every single person on this earth. God loves you no matter what you've done.

As our pastor said yesterday, God wants to see a heart that is "all in" for him. He doesn't want "sometimes" or even "almost always." He wants to know that you're following him all the time, even when it isn't easy or fun or even appealing.

Here's my challenge for you and me today: Are you all in with God? Tell God your decision today. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment