Thursday, January 19, 2012

Following the Nudge...

"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.Don't assume that you know it all." -Proverbs 3:5-7 (The Message)

Almost a year ago, I listened to this sermon:


Does God Speak To Me? from LCBC Church on Vimeo.

Ever since the first time I heard it, I've wondered what my life would be like if I listened to every nudge I received from God. Sadly, I have not listened every single time over the last year. I'm not sure I could even say I've followed them HALF the time. And I wonder now, what opportunities I've missed out on and said no to...

Part of the process of following them, is actually pausing long enough to hear them and I can't say that I've done that. It seems to me that we most often pause when we are going through something difficult or stressful or just plain scary.

This past October, I entered the unknown and decided to try to follow all of them. And making that decision lead to some major life changing events. But before you can hear about the end, we'll have to start at the beginning.

Have you ever felt a nudge from God? You know, that feeling like there's something you HAVE to do. Some call it intuition, others a "gut feeling." Whatever you call it, God gives them to you for a reason, even when they feel silly or pointless. Well I had a silly nudge back in October.

Seats are hard to come by at our church at the 11am service. So my husband and I tend to save them early and one of us "babysits" them. Lol. This particular Sunday, a good friend of mine was at church for the first time since the birth of her new baby girl. Now I LOVE newborns. LOVE them. Seriously. But I felt like I should be the seat babysitter this time, so Shaun went to find them and cuddle that cute bundle in my place.

And it was good that he did, because I got to have a great conversation with a dear friend of mine who I hadn't seen in months. If I'd ignored the nudge and done what I wanted, I would have missed out on seeing her and it would have changed the course of the next several months. But that's a story for several posts over the next several weeks. ;)

Another nudge I've had recently was starting this particular blog. Now I've blogged before, don't get me wrong. I've run a biggish one for a cloth diapering store, I've submitted posts to other people's blogs, and I've even had one other one about my kids that I didn't keep up with. This one is scarier to me somehow. This one isn't about what I have to say; it's about following the nudges I get from God and seeing where they take me. And the unknown is always scary.

I'll end with this as it's been a song on my heart for a long time now. In case it doesn't work, it's "Never Alone" by the Barlow Girls and you can also listen to it here: http://www.barlowgirls.com/


http://youtu.be/x8QubLxJI54

4 comments:

  1. Very nicly written! Imagin if we all said YES when God asked something of us!! I would have to think that life may be a little sweeter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nudge is the PERFECT word.... I think because it is a nudge it is easier to miss AND easier to discount. Tuning in, quieting the mind help... but I look forward to your future posts to see what else you suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I am an avid follower of Penelope's SimplySpirituality blog and can see now that I will be following Nudge as well. All because I followed the Nudge to click on Penelope's name this morning on FB. I am so glad I did and can't wait to follow your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! This was a definite nudge and I intend to follow it through by continuing to post regularly. :) I truly appreciate all the comments.

    ReplyDelete